Laptops are easily the most power hungry essential devices that we carry around. Even though modern laptops now offer 8-10+ hour battery life thanks to low-power processors, SSD drives and high efficiency displays, powering laptops while away from power outlets still remains a challenge.
About 2-3 years ago, 30-watt laptop power banks were the best available and these could mostly charge Macbook Airs (and Pros at slow speed). In the last two years, many good portable 45-watt/60-watt power banks have been launched and the latest 60-watt power banks can even charge bigger laptops such as high-end Macbook Pros, Dell XPS 15/13, Microsoft Surface series and many more.
Here is a detailed look at our selection of the best portable chargers or power banks for laptops –
Best USB-C PD Power Bank for Macbooks and Laptops
RAVPower 20000 USB-C PD Portable Charger (45 watt USB-C PD)
Recommended for Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Dell XPS 13/15, iPhone 11, 11 Pro/Max, XR, XS, XS Max, X, 8/8+, USB-C ultrabooks, Samsung S10, S10+, Note 9/8 S9, S8, S7, S6, Note 9, Note 8, all Android smartphones, Nintendo Switch
If you want a powerbank to charge Macbooks Pro, Macbook Air, or Dell XPS 13/15 laptops at fastest speed currently possible from power banks, then our top choice as 45-watt USB-C PD powerbank is RAVPower 20100 45-watt PD 3.0. This portable charger has an incredible 45 watt USB-C PD maximum charging output, which allows it to charge Macbook Air and Macbook Pro but also the much more power hungry Dell XPS 13 and Dell XPS 15 laptops.
The 45 watt maximum charginging output power of RAVPower 20100 45-watt PD 3.0 is higher than the original Apple MacBook Air’s 29 watt wall charger. This effectively means that the power bank can charge your Macbook Air faster than the original Apple charger! We recommend this powerbank if you have a USB-C chargeable laptop, especially Macbooks, Chromebooks as well as newer models of Dell XPS 13 (9360, 9370 etc.) and XPS 15.
Besides charging laptops, RAVPower 20100 45-watt PD 3.0 supports fastest charging of most latest smartphones (iPhone XR/XS/X/8 and Samsung S10, S9, Note 9/8, Pixel 3/2).
There are some questionable quality 60-watt USB-C PD portable chargers available, but if you want a good quality 45 watt USB-C PD power bank at lowest cost and do not need a bundled USB-C wall charger than RAVPower 20100 45-watt PD 3.0 is easily the best option in the market, especially as Anker currently does not sell any 45-watt PD power bank.
The best way to charge is by either a 30-watt USB PD wall charger as Anker Powerport II USB-C PD 49.5 watt wall charger or by any any Macbook charger as it gets charged in just about 4 hours with these chargers. RAVPower 20100 45-watt PD 3.0 can also be charged with a regular USB wall charger via its micro-USB port in 12+ hours.
Also, remember to buy a 30+ watt USB-C PD charger such as Anker Powerport II USB-C PD 49.5 watt wall charger (and NOT a regular 30 watt USB-C charger OR a 18-watt USB PD charger) to go with this powerbank. Apple’s standard Macbook wall chargers (29 watt, 61 watt or 87 watt) will also work great with RAVPower 20100 45-watt PD 3.0. .
- 45-watt power – suitable for fast charging USB-C chargeable laptops, specially Macbook Air & Macbook Pro
- Compatible with Dell XPS 13 9350/9360/9370/9365 laptops
- Compatible with Dell XPS 15 9570/9575/9560-r1845 laptops
- Better in capacity and value wise than Dell’s own companion series power banks for Dell laptops (see below)
- Gets charged in just 3.5 hours with a 30 watt USB-C PD wall charger and in 6 hours with a Quickcharge phone charger
- Supports the new fast charging mode for iPhone 11, 11 Pro/Max, XR, XS Max, XS, 8, 8+, and iPhone X (zero to 50% in 30 minutes).
- Supports fastest charging mode for Samsung Galaxy S10, S10+, S9/S8, S8+, S7, S7 Edge, Note 9, Note 8
- Fast charges iPad Pro 2018, iPad mini 2019, and iPad Air 2019
- Sturdy build quality and quality construction
- True 20,100 mAH capacity
- Excellent 24 months customer support/warranty
- USB-C to USB-C cable included
- An option with bundled USB-C PD wall charger would have been nice. To charge RAVPower 20100 45-watt in 3.5 hours or less, you require a 30 watt PD wall charger such as Anker Powerport II USB-C PD wall charger or the Macbook PD wall charger.
Best Premium Portable Charger for Laptops
(New!) Omni Mobile 25600 mAH – 60-Watt USB-C PD + 4-Preset voltage DC outlet + Wireless charging (No AC outlet)
OmniCharge Omni 20+ 20000 mAH – 60-Watt USB-C PD + Adjustable voltage DC outlet + AC outlet + Wireless charging
Omnicharge Omni 20+ is a premium backup power solution for not just laptops but a wide range of professional electronic equipment from cameras to various field equipment that require their own unique charging profiles and voltages. The latest version of Omni 20 the 20+ comes with a very handy new addition – 60-watt USB-C PD output ports that allow it to charge most laptops out there including Surface, Macbook Pro 15 and XPS, HP Spectre etc. The Omnicharge Omni 20+ is highly portable and versatile portable charger that even comes with passthrough-charging and wireless charging function – just place a phone on top to charge it – even while charging the power bank itself.
The Omnicharge Omni 20+ has a 20,100 mAH battery and comes with three unique ways to charge laptops –
- A 60-watt USB-C PD port for USB-C laptops
- An adjustable voltage DC barrel port for charging laptops and equipment. Omnicharge Omni 20+ can output a wide range of DC voltages. In fact, it can output ANY DC voltage from 1 volt to 25 volts including 9 volt, 10 volt, 12 volt, 18 volt, 20 volt, 24 volt etc. with a power draw of up to 70 watt This enables Omni 20+ to power almost every laptop in addition to a huge range of professional electronic equipment.
- A 100-watt max. 120v AC US version (or 230v in Europe version) port for charging speciality equipment (or laptops).
Update: If you simply need 60-watt USB-C PD for laptops or 12/16/19/24 volt DC for non-USB-C laptops and do not need 1-25 volt adjustable DC outlet or AC outlet, then the new new Omni Mobile 25600 is a much better and far more reasonably priced option. It has 25% more battery and rest of the features are almost same including pass-through and wireless charging.
In addition to this it has two 18-watt QuickCharge 3.0 capable regular USB ports for charging smartphones and 10-watt wireless charging function for wirelesslly charging latest iPhones and Samsung/Pixels/LG and other Android premium phones.
The standout feature of this premium priced portable charger is its flexibility. The AC/DC/HVDC/USB-C PD of Omni 20+ can be used to power almost any electrical appliance with a power draw of up to 100 watts. It also has two regular USB-port as well for charging smartphones. You can also fast-charge latest iPhones 11/11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, XR, XS, X, 8, 8+, Samsung S20/S10/S9/S8, Note 10/9/8, all Pixels etc. via the USB-C PD port from zero to 50% in 30 mins.
The 20100 Mah battery of Omni 20+ charges most laptops nearly once. Due to its incredible 100 watt power draw support, the Omni 20 will charge a huge range of laptops ranging from Dell XPS 15, XPS 13 to HP Spectre 13, and Surface Pro 5, 4 and Surface Pro 3, as well as Macbook Pros and Macbook Airs.
The Omnicharge Omni 20+ weighs about 1.35 pounds (611 grams) and has a compact, rugged build. It gets fully charged in about 4 hours with any 45+watt USB-C PD charger such as Macbook USB-C chargers. Another uniquely feature of Omni 20+ is its wide range of input power. Omni 20+ can be charged with a wide range of input voltages including solar cells and direct DC input. We recommend a 63+ watt dual PD port charger such as Aukey Omnia 65-watt GaN charger for charging the Oni 20+ as it will charge both the Omni20+ and a latest flagship iPhone/Android phone simultaneously with fastest charging speeds for each.
The 60 watt PD output is of Omnicharge Omni 20+ is great for charging the latest Macbook Pros at the very fast speeds (60 watt).
Another very handy feature is pass-through charging, meaning the power bank can act as UPS and you can charge the Omni 20 powerbanks while these are charging your laptops.
What We Like
- 60-watt USB-C PD output charges most USB-C laptops
- Adjustable DC output with up to 100-watt output charges most non USB-C laptops
- 100 watt AC/HVDC outlet is great for speciality equipment with own AC adapters
- 1- 24 volt adjustable DC output charges laptops efficiently. A huge range of professional equipment and devices can be charged.
- Can be charged with a wide range of DC voltages via the DC barrel port
- Supports solar charging
- Supports pass through charging – charge devices while charging the powerbank. This is a great feature when you are in a hurry and need to quickly charge your power bank and devices simulataneously.
- Supports 10-watt wireless charging
- Two 18-watt QuickCharge 3.0 compatible USB ports are great for fast charging of Android USB-C smartphones including Samsung S20, S10, S9, S9+, S8, S8+, S7, S6, Note 8 etc. from zero to 50% in 30 mins. These ports will also charge most all iPhones twice the speed of regular Apple 5-watt iPhone charger.
- USB-C PD port can can fast-charge latest iPhones 11/11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, XR, XS, X, 8, 8+, Samsung S20/S10/S9/S8, Note 10/9/8, all Pixels etc. from zero to 50% in 30 mins.
- Compact and sturdy charger with premium build quality (5 x 1.1 x 4.8 inches and 1.39 pounds weight)
- Unique portable charger with unmatched versatility
- Descriptive OLED display screen
- 20100 mAh capacity charges most laptops once.
- Get charged in 3 hours with any 45-watt USB-C PD charger such as Aukey Omnia 65-watt GaN charger
- A lot of input and output options. and multiple ways to charge both laptops and smartphones (USB or USB-C PD).
What we Do not like
- A bit expensive!. High price makes it a reasonable purchase only for enthusiasts and professionals.
- 1 year limited warranty is a bit less than ideal for such a highly priced piece of equipment.
- 20000 mah capacity is less than the 26800 MAH maximum allowed by TSA. For such a high price, 26800 mah would have been an ideal capacity. The new Omni Mobile 25600 addresses this issue
These two Dell power banks are our next best choices for charging Dell laptops including the XPS and Latitude series laptops. These two portable chargers are currently the only ones that work reliably with a huge range of Dell laptops for which they are designed.
Dell Hybrid Adapter + Power Bank 12800mAH is a 12800 mAh power bank with conventional DC barrel port output + 45-watt power adaptor charger designed for a Dell Inspiron, Latitude, XPS laptops. The power bank supports a wide range of Dell non-USB C laptops. It also has two USB ports for charging smartphones at pretty decent 2.4 amp speeds.
Dell Power Companion 4 Cell 12000 mAh is also a power bank with conventional DC barrel port output and supports a wide range of Dell laptops. The power bank weighs around 10 oz (280 grams) which is good for a laptop/phone dual use power bank. This model also has two USB ports for charging smartphones at 2.4 amp speed.
We found charging efficiency of both these portable chargers as decent (though nothing spectacular). Both these power banks will give slightly more than half charge (50%) to a 2018 XPS 13, and also charge iphones, Android phones at decent speeds. Given the lack of any other alternative, these two batteries are still the best portable battery options for many Dell owners.
Some Supported Dell laptops –
Inspiron 11 3000 Series (3162) Inspiron 11 3000 series (3168) Inspiron 15 5000 Series (5578) Inspiron 15 5000 Series (5570) Latitude 7280 Inspiron 11 3000 Series (3169) Inspiron 15 5000 Series (5568) Inspiron 13 7000 Series (7370) Latitude 5280 Latitude 5480 Inspiron 13 5000 Series (5378) Dell Inspiron 13 5368 2-in-1, 13 5378 2-in-1, 14 3467, 14 7460, 15 3567, 15 5565, 15 5567, 15 5568 2-in-1, 15 5578 2-in-1, 17 5767, Inspiron 13 5000 Series (5368), Inspiron 13 7000 Series (7368), Inspiron 14 3000 Series (3462), Inspiron 14 3000 Series (3467), Inspiron 14 7000 Series (7460), Inspiron 15 3000 Series (3565), Inspiron 15 3000 Series (3567), Inspiron 15 5000 Series (5565), Inspiron 15 5000 Series (5567), Inspiron 15 5000 Series (5568), Inspiron 15 7000 Series (7560), Inspiron 15 7000 Series (7569), Inspiron 17 5000 Series (5767), Inspiron 13 5000 Series – 5370 Inspiron 15 7000 Series (7560) Inspiron 17 5000 Series (5770) Inspiron 13 5000 Series (5368) Inspiron 14 7000 Series (7460) Inspiron 15 7000 Series (7570) Inspiron 13 7000 Series (7373) Inspiron 15 5000 Series (5575) Inspiron 15 7000 Series (7573)
Latitude 5490 Latitude 3390 2 In 1 Latitude 5290 Latitude 5590 Latitude 7380 Latitude 3490 Latitude 5580 Latitude 12 Rugged Extreme 7212 Latitude 3590 Latitude 7480 Dell Latitude 3480, 3580, 7480, Latitude 5280, Latitude 7280, Latitude 7380, Latitude 7480
XPS 13 Vostro
Dell Vostro 15 3565, XPS 12 (9250), Dell XPS 13 9360, XPS 9365 Many other XPS 13 models
Best Portable Charger for HP Laptops
HP Spectre USB-C Power Pack 20100 mah
HP Spectre laptops are one of the most popular laptops around. HP restricts (via firmware) powering these laptops from third-party USB chargers and as a result most regular USB power banks fail to charge HP Spectre laptops. However, HP manufactures its own portable charger for HP Spectre laptops – HP Spectre USB-C Power Pack 20100 mah – that is perfect for charging all HP Spectre laptops that come with a power brick with 65 watt or less of power output. This means you can charge your 13.3 inch and 12-inch screen HP Spectre laptops (HP Spectre, HP Spectre x360 and HP spectre X2) using the HP Spectre USB-C Power Pack . It even charges 15 inch screen HP Spectre models that have a much higher power draw and come with 90 watt adapter brick.
The HP Spectre USB-C Power Pack portable charger is currently available at Amazon. Prices for HP Spectre USB-C Power Pack are usually much better at Amazon. However, in case you find it out of stock there, you can also purchase direct from HP online store at the HP Spectre USB-C Power Pack page
The HP Spectre USB-C Power Pack weighs about .95 lbs (420 grams) and comes with two USB-C ports and a regular USB port for charging smartphones.This portable charger comes with USB-C to USB-C cable and can be recharged over the USB-C cable in about 3 hours with the Spectre 65 watt power brick.
The HP Spectre USB-C Power Pack has a 20100mah battery (75 watt-hours). In our tests, the HP Spectre USB-C Power Pack was able to charge a HP Spectre Core i5 13.3 inch screen laptop about 1.1 times, which is an excellent charging performance.
What We Like
- Great battery capacity – adequate for about 1.1 to 1.2 charges for most 12 inch & 13.3 inch Spectre laptops
- Decent weight .95 lbs
- Extra USB port for charging smartphones is very useful.
- High build quality
- Comes with good quality case and USB-C to USB-C cable
What we Do not like
- A bit pricey but there is no other product in the market with comparable 60-watt USB-C PD charging performance for HP laptops
AC Outlet laptop power banks vs USB-C/DC laptop powerbanks
Laptop powerbanks in the market can be broadly divided into two categories –
Portable AC Outlet laptop power banks
These have an inbuilt AC outlet in which you can plug in your laptop power adapter. Such power banks are extremely inefficient as they involve two power conversion steps – DC to AC in the powerbank and again AC to DC in the laptop power adapter. This dual power conversion wastes a lot of power and as a result such power banks suffer from extremely poor power efficiency. Therefore, if your main intended use is backup power for laptops, we recommend not purchasing AC outlet power banks for charging laptops.
Instead, we recommend purchasing direct DC outlet (USB-C PD power banks also output direct DC) power banks. AC outlet power banks are only justified for providing back up for speciality power equipment that need AC power only (or have proprietary speciality power adapters) as there is really no other alternative. One good multipurpose DC+AC outlet+USB-C PD power bank is Omnicharge 20+ AC/DC/USB-C power bank.
USB-C PD/DC Output Laptop Power banks
DC output power banks have a DC barrel port (or a USB-C PD port). The DC port usually outputs 19 volt or 20 volt DC power. Some latest power banks these days also come with USB-C PD port for laptops/Macbooks that can output variable 20/15/12/9/5 volts power over the USB-C port. As most laptops use 19/20 volt DC power, this is the most efficient way to power laptops as it eliminates DC-AC-DC conversion step and therefore allows for much greater efficiencies. As DC outlet portable chargers are far superior to AC outlet laptop portable chargers, all our picks here are DC Output portable chargers. Latest USB-C PD power banks such as ZMI PowerPack Pro 20K (Our top pick for laptops – to be updated soon in article) , Omni Mobile 25600, and Omnicharge Omni 20+ can even deliver 60-watt USB-C PD for Surface Pro, and 15-inch Macbook Pros, and other laptops