USB-C is fast becoming the standard charging and connectivity technology of choice among the latest released Android smartphones, iPhones, laptops including Macbooks, and even gaming devices. Latest released smartphones such as Samsung Galaxy S9, S9+, S8, S8+, iPhone X, 8, 8+, Google Pixel II, Motorola Moto Z2, LG G6, Sony XZ and XZ Premium and Oneplus 5T, all support USB-C charging. Nintendo Switch – currently the the most popular handheld gaming console – and most high-end laptops now support USB-C charging as well.
USB-C PD is now preferred and recommended charging standard for both Apple’s new and upcoming iPhones and the future Android phones and it is safe to assume that buying a USB-C PD powerbank is a future-proof investment. If you have a QuickCharge 3.0 phone and plan to buy a powerbank, you can buy a dual QC 3.0 and USB-C powerbank such as RAVPower 20100 USB-C Input/Output with QC 3.0 for maximum compatibility and future-proof usability.
Unfortunately, the USB-C standard is highly confusing due to various versions/supported voltages and the vast range of power output it supports. We have, therefore, simplified the choice by recommending suitable USB-C powerbanks according to their exact supported charging modes.
Features to look for in USB-C powerbanks
15 watt USB-C PD charging – This is the absolute minimum that a USB-C powerbank should offer and this is usually the maximum power output offered by the low cost USB-C power banks. 15 watt is also the maximum charging speed supported by the Nexus 6, Nexus 5X phones.
18+ watt USB PD support – Almost all latest smartphones in the market today support 18 watt fast charging over USB-C PD. This includes Samsung phones (S9, S9+, S8, S8+, Note 8, S7 etc.) and new Apple iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus. Nintendo Switch also requires 18 watt USB PD to charge it while playing.
30 or more watt USB PD support – This feature applies if you intend to charge Macbooks or USB-C laptops with the powerbank at fast speeds. Your Macbook or laptop will charge slowly with a 15-watt USB-C powerbank. In fact, many Windows laptops will not charge at all with the 15-watt USB-C powerbank. In order to charge your Macbooks or compatible laptops at the fastest speed, you will need a 30-watt USB-PD powerbank or higher.
USB-C input charging for quickly charging the powerbanks – High capacity powerbanks will take forever (up to 24 hrs or more) to charge with traditional USB wall chargers. Powerbanks with USB-C input or QC 3.0 can get charged in as little as 4 hours!
Here is our selection of top USB-C portable battery banks that deliver the best charging performance with robust and dependable build quality, best selection of features, and responsive customer care.
Best USB-C Powerbank for Smartphones & Laptops (Overall)
Anker PowerCore Speed 20000 PD (24 watt USB PD output)
Anker PowerCore Speed 20000 PD is our top choice as the USB-C powerbank for smartphones. It offers 24 watt of maximum USB-C PD output, making it perfect for charging all the latest smartphones such as Samsung Galaxy S9, S9+, S8, S8+, Note 8, S7 etc. and Apple iPhone X, 8, 8+ at their maximum supported charging speed. The new iPhones 8/8+/X can be fast charged to 50% in just 30 minutes over USB-C PD 18 watt.
PowerCore Speed 20000 PD will fully charge iPhone 8, 7, and 6S about 6+ times and iPhone X, 8 Plus, and 7 Plus 4+ times. It will charge Samsung Galaxy S9, S9+, S8, S8+, Note 8, S7, LG V30, V20 etc. 4+ times as well.
The powerbank comes bundled with a quality 30-watt USB-C PD wall charger, which you can also use to fast charge your phones directly or to charge your Macbook at 30-watt fast speed (same as Apple’s stock 29 watt Macbook wall charger).
PowerCore Speed 20000 PD has two charging ports (one USB-C and one standard USB) and weighs about 14oz. A sturdy body with 18 months warranty further assure continued functioning under heavy use.
Anker PowerCore Speed 20000 PD will also charge the latest Macbooks and iPads at pretty fast 24 watt charging output. If charging Macbooks even faster is important for you than we will instead recommend a 30-watt USB-C PD powerbank such as RAVPower 26800 USB-C PD or Anker’s PowerCore+ 26800 PD .
- Fastest charging for all Samsung smartphones & latest Apple iPhones
- Fastest charging for Nintendo Switch – can charge Switch while it is being played.
- Macbook compatible 24 watt charging
- Bundled with a quality USB-C wall charger that can also act as fast charger for iPhone X, 8, 8+.
- Gets charged in 4 hours with the bundled wall charger
- Narrow, long, easy to hold design
- Solid build quality
- An option without the bundled USB-C wall charger would have been great
Best USB-C Powerbank for All Smartphones except Apple iPhone X, 8, and 8 Plus
RAVPower 20100 USB-C Input/Output with QC 3.0 (18 watt QuickCharge output and 15 watt USB-C output but No USB PD for iPhone X, 8, 8+ and Macbooks)
Without QC 3.0 With QC 3.0
Wall charger Wall charger
RAVPower 20100 USB-C Input/Output with QC 3.0 is our top choice for USB-C powerbanks for all smartphones except Apple’s latest iPhones 8/8+/X. RAVPower 20100 comes with USB-C Input (for charging the powerbank) and USB-C Output for charging your USB-C devices. What is more, it also comes with the latest QuickCharge 3.0 charging port, thus making it an excellent buy if you currently own a QC 3.0 or 2.0 smartphone. And all this is available with a solid build quality and at an incredible price.
RAVPower 20100 has a total of three USB charging ports – one USB-C, one USB Quickcharge 3.0 port, and one smart 2.4 amp USB port.
Please note that RAVPower 20100 USB C will fast charge Samsung Galaxy S9, S9+, S8, S8+, Note 8, S7 etc. with its QuickCharge 3.0 port. It will also recharge QC 3.0 phones such as LG V30, Sony XZ1, Nokia 8, HTC U11/Ultra etc. via the QuickCharge 3.0 port. RAVPower 20100 USB C will fast charge Google Nexus 6 & 5X through the 15 watt USB-C port.
RAVPower 20100 delivers maximum 15 watt over USB-C but can deliver 18 watt over QuickCharge 3.0. This is the reason why it can fast charge the latest Samsung S9/S8/S7 and Android smartphones with its Quickcharge port.
RAVPower 20100 USB-C Input/Output with QC 3.0 can be charged both by QC 3.0 charger or USB-C wall charger. Charging time for this massive 20100 powerbank is just 5 hours with QC 3.0- wall charger.
True 20100 mAh capacity of RAVPower 20100 means that you can charge even the latest Samsung Galaxy S8 five times. Similarly, you can charge an iPhone 7 eight+ times and even charge iPad air fully once. A Nintendo Switch can be charged 3+ times with the RAVPower 20100.
RAVPower 20100 comes with a high quality QC 3.0 charger and is available at an unbeatable price, which when combines with RAVPower’s record of excellent customer service makes it one of the nest USB-C powerbanks available.
- Best of both worlds – QuickCharge 3.0 Input/Output + USB-C Input/Output
- Fast charges all Samsung smartphones – S9/S8/S7/Note 8 using 18-watt Quickcharge 3.0 port
- Fast charges all Quickcharge 3.0 Android smartphones (LG V30, Sony XZ1, Nokia 8, HTC U11/Ultra) as well as Nexus 6/5X
- Macbook compatible – 15 watt USB-C Macbook charging output
- Option to purchase with bundled QC 3.0 charger
- Gets charged in 5 hours via QC 3.0 wall charger. You can also use a USB-C wall charger to charge it in 4.5 hours
- RAVPower’s excellent 18+ 12 months customer support/warranty
- Solid build quality
- 13.4 oz weight
- Price! Unbeatable value for the features provided.
- Cannot fast charge the latest Apple iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iphone 8 Plus as it does not have 18-watt USB-C PD support.
- Cannot fast charge Nintendo Switch at its maximum supported 18-watt as the powerbank lacks 18-watt USB-C PD support.
Best Reasonably Priced High Capacity 30-watt USB-C PD Powerbank
RAVPower 26800 USB-C PD (30-watt USB-C PD)
Our next pick is – incredibly enough- also from RAVPower but this time with the all important 30-watt USB-C PD output. This allows it to fast charge the latest Apple iPhones – iPhone X, 8, 8 Plus – to 50 % in just 30 minutes. It can also recharge Nintendo Switch at its maximum supported 18-watt current.
RAVPower 26800 USB-C PD has all of the same features as RAVpower 20100 PD (at #3 below) but with one big difference – it has a huge 26800 mAH battery – the maximum battery size allowed by TSA or international airlines on the flights for carry-on/cabin luggage.
This means that RAVPower 26800 USB-C PD can charge a Samsung Galaxy S8 almost 7 times (!!) and an iPhone 7 almost 10+ times. A Nintendo Switch can be charged 4+ times.
The RAVPower 26800 USB-C PD can be charged in 4 hours with a 30 watt USB-C PD wall charger. RAVPower 26800 USB-C PD comes with a USB-C reversible cable but does not come with a USB-C wall charger, which has to be bought separately. Hence, remember to buy a 30 watt or more USB-C PD charger such as Anker 30 watt PD charger (and not a regular 30 watt USB-C wall charger) to go with this powerbank.
Please Note: Only a 30-watt+ USB-C PD wall charger such as Anker 30 watt PD charger or RAVPower Super-C 36 watt Type-C charger or iClever 45 watt USB-C PD wall charger will charge RAVPower 26800 USB-C PD in 4 hours. A regular (non-PD) 30 watt USB-C wall charger will not charge RAVPower 26800 USB-C PD in 4 hours and will take about 10 hrs to charge it.
- Fast charges Samsung Galaxy S9/S8/S7 at fastest speed.
- Fast charges iPhone X, 8, 8 Plus
- Massive true 26,800 mAH capacity – the maximum allowed in cabin baggage
- Solid build quality
- 30-watt USB C PD power – suitable for Macbooks and other USB-C ultrabooks
- Comes with USB-C reversible cable
- RAVPower’s excellent customer support & 30 months warranty
- No bundled USB-C wall charger option
Best Reasonably Priced 30-watt USB-C PD Powerbank
RAVPower 20100 USB-C PD portable charger (30 watt USB-C PD)
Recommended for Apple iPhone X/8/8+/USB-C ultrabooks/Macbook/smartphones/Nintendo Switch
Our next top choice is also from RAVPower, solely because of its incredible value for money proposition compared to the #5 in our list. Check Amazon link of RAVPower 20100 USB-C PD is the big brother to the RAVpower 20100 at #2 and delivers double its charging power (30 watt) – more than the original Apple MacBook’s 29 watt wall charger. This means that it can charge your Macbook Air in the same time as it takes to charge by the original Apple wall charger. We highly recommend this powerbank if you have a USB-C chargeable laptop.
If you want a quality 30 watt USB-C PD powerbank at lowest cost and do not need a bundled USB-C wall charger than RAVPower 20100 USB-C PD is currently the lowest cost quality option in the market. It can be charged with a regular USB wall charger in 10-12 hours or with a 30-watt USB wall charger such as Anker USB-C PD 30 watt wall charger in 4 hours.
Another interesting feature supported by RAVPower 20100 USB-C PD is the data transfer or hub feature. This means that while charging your laptop through the USB-C port, you can also connect a USB-disk to the USB-port’s of the powerbank and transfer files to the laptop. This is especially useful for many modern laptops that only come with USB-C ports and require special hubs to connect with regular USB-3.0 pendrives or external hard drives.
Also, remember to buy a 30 watt or more USB PD charger such as Anker 30 watt PD charger (and not a regular 30 watt USB charger) to go with this powerbank. Apple’s standard Macbook wall chargers will work fine as well.
Why buy a 30 watt USB-C Powerbank?
A 30 watt USB-C charger/powerbank offers four big differences over lower-cost 15-watt or 10-watt chargers:
- A 30-watt USB-C PD powerbank will charge laptops and Macbooks at a maximum 30 watt charging output- effectively halving your charging time. A 30-watt charger also offers a reliable charging setup for high current drawing USB-C ultrabooks and laptops as lower wattage chargers can cause charging circuit failures and overload.
- A 30-watt USB-C PD powerbank will support the new fast charging mode for the iPhone 8, 8+, and iPhone X (50% in 30 minutes)
- Most latest Android phones such as S9, S8, Pixel 2, support a maximum of 18 watt (9v @ 2 amp) over USB-C PD in fast charge mode. An 30 watt charger will support it as it can output 9 volts but a 15-watt charger won’t.
- It can charge a Nintendo Switch AND the joy-cons at the same time. Switch can draw as much as 18 watt of power while playing docked with joy-cons and this cannot be handled by lower-cost USB-C chargers which max out at 15 watt. So, in order to get the maximum charging speed for Switch, it is best to use a 30-watt charger.
- Good true 20,100 mAH capacity
- Supports the new fast charging mode for iPhone 8, 8+, and iPhone X (50% in 30 minutes).
- Supports fastest charging mode for Samsung Galaxy S9/S8, S8+, S7, S7 Edge, Note 8
- 30-watt power – suitable for USB-C chargeable laptops, specially Macbooks
- Gets charged in just 4 hours with USB-C charger
- RAVPower’s excellent 18 + 12 months customer support/warranty
- USB-C to USB-C cable included
- USB hub feature – enables you to connect a USB-pendrive or hard disk for data transfer to the laptop while charging
- 15v and 20 v USB-C output support
- Sturdy build quality
- An option with bundled USB-C wall charger would have been nice
Best 30-watt High-Capacity USB-C PD Powerbank with bundled PD Wall Charger
Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD with PD Wall Charger (30 watt USB-C PD)
Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD is a recent release by Anker and is a solid 30-watt USB-C PD power bank. This is at the moment Anker’s highest capacity (and top-priced) portable power bank . The Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD comes with one 30-watt USB-C PD charging port and two standard USB high speed (2.4 Amp, maximum supported by Apple iPhone) charging ports. Impeccable build quality and backing by Anker’s excellent customer service makes it our top recommended USB-C powerbank if you want to purchase a high capacity USB-C powerbank with a bundled quality USB-C wall charger. The price of Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD may seem high but it comes with a 30-watt USB-C wall charger which will otherwise cost almost $30 to buy separately.
This is also an excellent two-in-one laptop/smartphone charger for owners of Macbook Pros (or other USB-C laptops) and flagship smartphones, complete with the maximum TSA-allowed powerbank battery capacity for carry-on baggage in flights.
30-watt Macbook compatible output, smooth and consistent USB C PD output, fastest charging for latest Apple and Samsung phones, bundled PD wall charger and maximum TSA-allowed capacity makes one of the best portable chargers options available.
- Will fast charge Samsung Galaxy S9/S8/S7 at fastest speed.
- Will fast charge iPhone X, 8, 8 Plus
- Charges Macbooks at 30 watt
- 26,800 mAH capacity – the maximum allowed by TSA in cabin baggage
- Solid and sturdy build
- Anker’s well-known reliability and customer support
- 10-position charging indicator
- USB-C to USB-C cable included
- No option to buy without the bundled USB-C wall charger. If you do not need a USB-C wall charger RAVPower 26800 USB-C PD is a great alternative.
Old favorite but now obsolete…Choose PowerCore 20000 Speed PD Instead
Anker PowerCore 20100 USB-C (15-watt NO PD)
Anker PowerCore 20100 USB-C is a solid 15-watt USB-C charger. However, it is pretty much obsolete now and we instead recommend the latest version – Anker PowerCore 20000 PD as it gets charged far faster (just 4 hrs vs 15 hrs) and comes with 22.5 watt PD charging support.
- Solid and sleek build
- Anker’s well-known reliability and customer support
- 10-position charging indicator
- 15-watt maximum power – slower charging for laptops/Macbook than 30 watt USB-PD chargers. Anker’s PowerCore 20000 PD with 22.5-watt USB-PD support is better option.
- High price
- Takes very long to recharge the powerbank (15 hrs+) as it does not have USB-C input. Better to choose Anker’s PowerCore 20000 PD for a few bucks more as it has USB-C input and gets charged in 4 hours.
|Features||Anker PowerCore+ 26800 USB-C PD 30-watt with PD wall charger||RAVPower 26800 PD 30-watt||PowerCore Speed 20000 PD with USB PD wall charger||RAVPower 20000 PD 30-watt||RAVPower 20100 USB-C QC 3.0|
|18-watt PD fast charging for iPhone X 50% in 30 mins|
|18-w fast charging for Samsung S9, S9+,S8, S8+, S7 50% in 30 mins||Fast charges S9.S8, S7 & QC3.0 phones over QC 3.0|
|USB-PD for fast-charging Macbooks|
|Max PD output||30 watt||30 watt||24 watt||30 watt||No PD 15 watt USB-C|
|Time to charge the powerbank||~4.5 hrs||~4.5 hrs||~4 hrs||~4 hrs||~5 hrs|
|Number of Ports||3||3||2||3||3|
|QuickCharge 3.0 Output||Has USB PD, which is better||Has USB PD, which is better||Has USB PD, which is better||Has USB PD, which is better|