Wireless powerbanks are a relatively recent and much rare category of portable chargers. Wireless powerbanks let you to charge your phone continuously without using a cable by simply placing your device on top of the powerbank. This is very handy for use on workdesks and during travel. In the last 2 years many manufacturers have released wireless powerbanks but there are very few quality wireless powerbanks currently in the market.
While selecting best wireless powerbanks, we found that most wireless powerbanks in the market had poor build quality or had inconsistent charging or questionable customer service/warranty record. What surprised us was that almost all these unreliable wireless powerbanks in the market were virtually clones of each other just with different brand names (they also had quite weird names). They usually also had manipulated or fake high product ratings on their product pages. We hope that the number of quality wireless powerbanks (and wireless charging cases) will increase in future as wireless charging is a very convenient feature.
As wireless charging is a very different experience from a wired powerbank, buying from a reputed brand name gives you the freedom of an effortless replacement/return during the replacement or warranty period (18-30 months), in case the product does not meet your expectations.
Before we go further, here are two things to keep in mind about wireless powerbanks –
- Android phones: Wireless powerbanks charge Android phones at about half to one-fourth the speed of most stock wall chargers that come with your phone. The peak charging speed offered by almost wireless powerbanks is 5 watt and this translates to about 25-30% charge an hour for most phones. Full charging takes minimum 3-4 hours.
- iPhones : The charger that comes with the iPhones (Xs/X/8/7/5) currently is a 5-watt charger. Hence, most iPhones will get charged by wireless powerbanks at nearly same speed as they are charged with the stock Apple charger that came with the iPhone.
- All wireless powerbanks can also function as wired powerbanks. In wired mode, the wireless powerbank will charge your phone at almost 4 times the speed in wireless mode. This is very useful if you want to quickly charge your phone.
- Wireless charging is about 25-30% less efficient than wired charging. So if you are far away from AC power outlets and want to maximize your powerbank’s battery, it is better to charge in wired mode. A 10000 mAh wireless powerbank will charge an S8 or S9 about 1.5 times in wireless mode but charge it 2 times in wired mode.
Here is our collection of the best wireless power banks currently available in the market on the basis of observed charging performance, build quality, charging speed, weight/size, and customer support.
Best Wireless Powerbank Overall
RAVPower 10000 Wireless Charging Powerbank
RavPower 10000 Wireless powerbank is our top pick among wireless powerbanks. RavPower 10000 Wireless offers a very good balance between features, price, build quality, weight and customer service which makes it the best powerbank in our opinion to try your hand in wireless charging.
RavPower 10000 Wireless portable charger will charge most Qi wireless charging compatible Android smartphones (such as S10/S9/S8/Note 9/8/LG G6/G7) and iPhone X/Xs about 1.5 times in wireless mode and 2 times in wired mode. It will fully charge iPhone 8 about 2.4 times in wireless mode and about 3 times in wired mode.
The powerbank itself will get charged in about 6 hours using a 2.4 amp wall charger. Most chargers that come with Android phones these days can supply 2/2.4 amps @5V and can be used to charge RavPower 10000 Wireless .
RavPower 10000 Wireless measures 5.7 inches x 2.9 x 1 inch and weighs around 8 oz (250gm). As the powerbank is supposed to be used more as a charging pad and not as an handheld powerbank, the size weight are acceptable.
Another great plus for RavPower 10000 Wireless is RAVpower’s excellent 30 month warranty (18 month default + 12 month on registration). This, coupled with the responsive service, makes RavPower 10000 Wireless our top pick as wireless powerbank.
RavPower 10000 Wireless Pros:
- The powerbank can be charged while it is charging phones. This allows you to keep it fully topped up while you charge your phone.
- Excellent build quality, robust enough for heavy use.
- Can charge two devices at once – one in wireless mode and one in wired mode.
- Good 2.4 amp charging speed in wired mode (zero to 50% in 50 mins for most phones).
- Charges both Qi charging compatible Androids and iPhones
- Excellent 30 months warranty
- Manual reset by pressing the power button is required to restart wireless charging if the wireless charging stops
- The powerbank has to be at more than 25% charge level to charge a phone wirelessly.
Mophie Powerstation Wireless 10000
Mophie Powerstation Wireless 10000 is our next pick as wireless powerbank. This powerbank offers almost exactly same features as our #1 pick. However, it is slightly slim and smaller in size than RavPower 10000 Wireless . Mophie Powerstation Wireless 10000 will charge all Qi wireless charging compatible Android smartphones (such as Galaxy S10/S10+/S9/S8/Note 9/8/LG G6/G7) and iPhone Xs/Max/Xs/X/8/8+ at 5 watt charging speeds.
Just like the RAVpower 10000, it charges the S9/S8/S7/iPhone XS/X about 1.5 times while charging in wireless mode and about twice in wired mode. Mophie Powerstation Wireless 10000 will fully charge iPhone 8, which has a much smaller 2000mah battery, about 2.5 times in wireless mode and about 3 times in wired mode.
The PowerStation Wireless will get charged in about 6 hours using a 2.4 amp wall charger such as the iPad Pro wall charger. In fact, almost all chargers that come with newer Android phones these days can supply 2/2.4 amps @5V and can be used to charge the powerbank.
Mophie Powerstation Wireless 10000 measures 5.2 inches x 2.7 x .6 inches and weighs around 8.5 oz (250gm). It has a grippy rubber charging surface which is handy for placing the phone without slipping.
The powerbank comes with 24 month warranty, which is only slightly less than RAVPower Wireless 10000. Mophie Powerstation Wireless 10000 is priced quite higher than RavPower 10000 Wireless though it offers the same features and weight as well as similar build quality. This is why it is our second choice after the RavPower 10000 Wireless .
- Passthrough charging support – powerbank can also be charged while it is charging phones.
- Will Charge both Qi compatible Androids and iPhones
- Good build quality with grippy charging surface.
- Will charge two devices at once – one via wireless charging and other via cable.
- Decent 2.1 amp charging speed when charging phones by cable (about zero to 50% in 50 mins for most phones).
- 24 month warranty
- The power button has to be pressed to restart wireless charging if the wireless charging stops
- Quite high price